Saturday, November 18, 2006

Scotland Yard Divas

When will the Met be talking to Tony Blair?
I dont know - I just thought I would ask in case any of you do!

The whole investigation has raised serious questions about the leadership of the Met. At the top there is Ian Blair, a man who seems more interested in his press image than his job. He thinks his role as commissioner is to be some sort of "voice" for the police - which it isn't. There are various bodies that represent police of all ranks.

Yet Blair thinks it is ok for him to phone MPs and try to influence how they vote. His egotism seems to be catching on among other senior staff at New Scotland Yard.

Take Dep Asst Commissioner Brian Paddick. The highest ranking gay police officer in the UK today talks to the press regularly.

Speaking at an employment advice day for gay teenagers, Mr Paddick expressed his dismay at being sidelined by the current Commissioner Sir Ian Blair, “because I spoke the truth."

"I have the opportunity to retire this year because I've served thirty years in the force, but I don't want to just grab the money and run. “I'm looking at what may happen when the current Commissioner retires."Mr Paddick made it clear that he thinks he is qualified for the top job.

Traditionally only officers who had served as Chief Constable of a smaller force would be considered for the Commissioner role.


"I may or may not have been asked by the Liberal Democrats to be their candidate for Mayor."Mr Paddick has previously addressed the Lib Dem Party conference.He added: "I wouldn't be comfortable as a Member of Parliament because I would be expected to attend divisions on the party line.

“But in general, the Mayoral candidates have been given greater leeway to be independent by their parties."

"Remember Ken Livingstone was first elected as an Independent before Labour begged him to rejoin the party."

HEY! I got an idea for you Brian? Why not try acting like a fucking civil servant? Why not keep out of the press? Keep your mouth shut and get on with your job. Maybe I am old fashioned but frankly the public should not have a clue who the Assistant Commissioners are.

He is not the only attention seeker. The recent loans for peerages investigation has revealed yet another top cop who seems in love with the media.

Dep Comm. Andy Yates has been dubbed Yates of the Yard by the more hysterical of our newspapers. No doubt he relishes the title and looks forward to stepping into the top job one day. His inquiry has been leaking like a sieve from day one. Why hasn't he put a stop to it?

Yet another rampant ego at the top of the Met. It is a sad day when a punter on the street like me knows who Cressida Dick is.